Iskandarliving Forums • <!-- IF S_IN_MCP -->Moderator Control Panel • <!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP -->{ UCP } • <!-- ENDIF -->View topic - Eating well in Johor

Eating well in Johor

What’s good to eat, buy, do, and where to do it all! Found a great place to relax? Share it here.
And where can I buy toilet paper?

Re: Eating well in Johor

Postby SNSD » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:57 am

The shops around BH are not doing well . They keep closing down, one after another. The latest casualty is the Steamboat Restaurant. It used to be crowded at the start but I guess they can't retain their patrons. Food is so-so. We went once and never returned. :mrgreen:

Not to worry though, another steamboat eatery is coming up at another lot.

The greatest beneficiary is the contractors who will renovate the place again. :mrgreen:
SNSD

Postby Odyssey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Was at 777 pasar malam last Sat n tried the food there. The Penang laksa next to the fried oysters stall was Shiok! Better than some that I hv eaten in Penang - die die must try. Priced at Rm4.50 a bowl only. (Can give the fried oysters a miss though.)
Odyssey
Past Asst Administrator

Postby SNSD » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:30 am

Went to Uncle Jang and was really disappointed with this second visit. A year ago, the crowd was thinner but the rice cakes were more and bigger. I can't even find the rice cakes yesterday. :cry:
SNSD

Postby Odyssey » Wed May 07, 2014 10:17 am

Was at Bestmart last Sat for dinner. I tried the roast duck n roasted pork n they were quite good. The duck was a bit herby which was the way I like my duck - yummy. We also tried the next stall's Vietnamese beef noodle. The beef was slightly tough and the portion was rather huge. They didn't have the rice paper wrapped spring roll that my wife liked.
Odyssey
Past Asst Administrator

Postby SNSD » Thu May 08, 2014 9:11 am

Tried the new steamboat eatery and service is very good. I am not into steamboats but food quality is better than the one which has just closed down. Business is brisk too for a week night but what a sad contrast for the eatery just opposite opened by an 'ang moh' . The two waiters (look more like bouncers to me) standing at the door looked real bored. :mrgreen:

To survive in this area, business must not make itself look too 'high class' and service is very important to attract repeat visits.

Nowadays it is tougher to find parking lots around this place.
SNSD

Postby yonglip2 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:31 pm

finally have a chance to visit Chef Wah..so near BH but did not try it until yesterday. :shock:

tried their set dinner. some hits and misses. With a multi-award winning chef, one would expect all hits and no misses. :mrgreen:

notwithstanding, would definitely go back again.
yonglip2

Postby SNSD » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:49 am

Haha...Chef Wah is one of the better ones around definitely.

This hols, I was treated to dinner at Pekin Restaurant - what a great disappointment :roll: Good thing I don't have to pay for the food.
SNSD

Postby FHBH » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:17 am

I thought the Peking restaurant at Sutera was quite nice. I didn't have to pay also :lol:
FHBH
Asst Administrator

Postby SNSD » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:54 am

Dropped by Moonlight cafe the other day while waiting for car to be serviced. Good news is the cafe has a new menu with new prices as well. :mrgreen:
My hubby was upset to find the price of his favourite Oglio Olio increased by 3 RM for the same portion. :o
SNSD

Postby PairItUp » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Can the nice folks here recommend good zhi char? I been reading johor kaki and thought of trying the Ming kitchen in Belanger petah.
PairItUp

Postby PairItUp » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:30 pm

I tried the chicken rice that johor kaki recommended at bukit indah Granada hotel. Don't try. Not worth..I am still finding the "tian tian" chicken rice in JB. Can't find yet
http://johorkaki.blogspot.sg/search/lab ... ken%20Rice
PairItUp

Postby SNSD » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:43 am

Take all these blogs with a pinch of salt. Some of the writers are especially invited by the eateries (especially newly opened ones) to try out the food there and write about them. Of course, they will write good stuff , right? ;)

For us, we play by ear and trial and error ! Glad to say my hubby prefers those from my kitchen best :mrgreen:
SNSD

Postby PairItUp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:49 pm

Indeed. I am always on lookout for home cook zhi char.
I like the bitter gourd soup outside BH opp giant the dishes are mostly good.
PairItUp

Postby PairItUp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:54 pm

Ventured finally to bestmart...got nice laksa aand ampang young Tao hu. And market also. Also a 五金 mart. Like it for all household needs.
PairItUp

Postby SNSD » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:09 am

Welcome to JB ! My new haunt is Perling wet market now, just next to the newly revamped Perling Mall. Unlike Bestmart, this market is really wet. But if you are looking for fresh fishes , they have loads of them and many varieties. And most of the stall holders are Chinese, so no problem in bargaining. I have been stocking up the freezer with nice , fresh fishes where I will steam over my weekend stay. I usually bring back the remaining ones. :mrgreen:

They have lots of fresh farm vegetables too and if you are looking for some cheap marcotted fruit trees, you can buy them there. I have bought one rambutan sapling, one duku sapling, one lime plant, one lemon sapling and many others. All quite small but hoping for harvest in 2 to 3 years time. Heard a nearby neighbour is enjoying their harvests from their marcotted longan trees (like in 2 years).. I am so jealous. I should have grown more fruit trees. At the present moment, I am only enjoying my papayas , almost one in every week. I have ordered one mango sapling and one banana tree from the friendly uncle. :P :P

Really enjoying the gardening process. Life will be really boring here without this hobby for us, I guess :D
SNSD

Postby PairItUp » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:22 am

That's wonderful. New place to explore soon. Thks for sharing!
PairItUp

Postby pahangboy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:25 am

Wah...envy you...

But can really bring fish back to Spore meh?

ha hah a....
pahangboy
Contributor

Postby SNSD » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Fish? No problem at all.Fish is a legal item. Put them in a freezer box or bag and travel in the wee hours of early Monday morning. The fishes will reach my SG freezer fast (without sun and jam) and still frozen.

No need to envy. Just be contented and enjoy your place, surroundings and the local people :)
SNSD

Postby SJLINK » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:02 pm

It is not legal to bring uncooked fish into Singapore. Our Malaysian relatives warned us about it. If you declare, Singapore Custom will not allow it. If caught, custom will probably ask you to dispose of them and give warning. They will then give you a warning note and if caught again, you may be fined. Ridiculous! All they want is $$$! My friend was warned for bringing some Ramli burgers into Singapore. They were made to dispose of them at the Checkpoint. Though they were not fined, someone else was for bringing Ramli burgers into Spore. Fine was sent to his house 2 weeks later, about few hundreds $!
Last edited by SJLINK on Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SJLINK

Postby pahangboy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:23 pm

I am not sure if it's illegal 100%.

I read just now online that it's not illegal if its for personal consumption and below 5kg per person.

But I recall seeing a sign at the checkpoints that fish is one of the controlled items not allowed.

I have an experience whereby the officer told me that KFC cannot be brought in....

I told her...I will throw it away then and there..but she said..it was okay that time.......

So...it's confusing actually......what is allowed and what it not...
pahangboy
Contributor

Postby BossLiew » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:50 pm

i always eat roti planta at night time only.... but my it just a very small shop and don have so much customers. the taste is still so nice. like to watch the boss use his 2 hand to "slap" the roti hahahaha. sampat is the most important .
BossLiew

Postby SNSD » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:08 pm

PairItUp wrote:I tried the chicken rice that johor kaki recommended at bukit indah Granada hotel. Don't try. Not worth..I am still finding the "tian tian" chicken rice in JB. Can't find yet
http://johorkaki.blogspot.sg/search/lab ... ken%20Rice

Found one good chicken rice in jb. A local friend introduced us to it.

De Ji

Jalan Undan 18, Taman Perling. It's just next door to Chungky Cafe. Open till lunch time only.

Go explore :)
SNSD

Postby SNSD » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:12 pm

SNSD wrote:Haha...Chef Wah is one of the better ones around definitely.

This hols, I was treated to dinner at Pekin Restaurant - what a great disappointment :roll: Good thing I don't have to pay for the food.

Need to take back my comments about Pekin Restaurant. We have been frequenting the one at Taman Sentosa . The place is clean, food is good , price is reasonable and great service. In fact , we seldom step foot into Chef Wah now. :mrgreen: So much for the change after 2 years.
SNSD

Postby SNSD » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:17 pm

SNSD wrote:Went to Uncle Jang and was really disappointed with this second visit. A year ago, the crowd was thinner but the rice cakes were more and bigger. I can't even find the rice cakes yesterday. :cry:

No more craze over Korean food. Now we can find rather good Japanese right at our door steps. I just love this place near to Perfect Food Court (which is not really that perfect) for its Ramen. Lunch time specials is really value for money. Used to be very quiet but now business is getting better. They even have Japanese customers. :D

https://www.facebook.com/Ramen-Kingu-Ho ... 310353270/
SNSD

Postby SNSD » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:22 pm

SNSD wrote:Welcome to JB ! My new haunt is Perling wet market now, just next to the newly revamped Perling Mall. Unlike Bestmart, this market is really wet. But if you are looking for fresh fishes , they have loads of them and many varieties. And most of the stall holders are Chinese, so no problem in bargaining. I have been stocking up the freezer with nice , fresh fishes where I will steam over my weekend stay. I usually bring back the remaining ones. :mrgreen:

They have lots of fresh farm vegetables too and if you are looking for some cheap marcotted fruit trees, you can buy them there. I have bought one rambutan sapling, one duku sapling, one lime plant, one lemon sapling and many others. All quite small but hoping for harvest in 2 to 3 years time. Heard a nearby neighbour is enjoying their harvests from their marcotted longan trees (like in 2 years).. I am so jealous. I should have grown more fruit trees. At the present moment, I am only enjoying my papayas , almost one in every week. I have ordered one mango sapling and one banana tree from the friendly uncle. :P :P

Really enjoying the gardening process. Life will be really boring here without this hobby for us, I guess :D

Gosh..I forgot we planted a duku and rambutan saplint. :o

Anyways , for the update, no duku nor rambutans in sight. The lemon tree is dead and we harvested a few limes before the worms gobbled up the lime leaves . :x

Papaya trees have since died after a good harvest. Now we are enjoying our home-grown bananas..into its 3rd harvest. :D

And we found some guavas hanging on a tree too.
SNSD

Previous

Return to Eating, Shopping and Leisure activities